Indiana's State Motto: The Crossroads of America - adopted in 1937
|"Land of the Indians"|
You Are Visitor Number
PREPARED BY WESTON A. GOODSPEED.
ORGANIZATION OF DAVIESS COUNTY—ACT OF CREATION—LOCATION OF THE COUNTY SEAT — IMPORTANT PROCEEDINGS OF THE COUNTY BOARD —FORMATION OF TOWNSHIPS —PUBLIC BUILDINGS — COUNTY OFFICERS — MISCELLANEOUS EVENTS OF INTEREST—THE RAILWAYS AND THE CANAL — FINANCES —AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY — POPULATION—ELECTION RETURNS—THE PAUPERS.
THE county of Daviess was originally a part of Knox County and remained so until the enactment of the following special law:
AN ACT FOR THE FORMATION OF A NEW COUNTY OUT OF THE COUNTY OF KNOX.
SECTION 1. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana, That from and after the 15th day of February next all that part of the county of Knox which is contained within the following boundary shall constitute and form a new county, viz.: Beginning at the forks of White River, running thence with the East Fork of White River to the mouth of Lick Creek; thence with said creek to the line of Orange County; thence north with the said line to where it. strikes the West Branch of White River, thence down the said West Fork to the place of beginning.
SEC. 2. That said new county shall be known and designated by the name and style of the county of Daviess, and shall enjoy all the rights and privileges and jurisdictions which to a separate county do or may properly appertain or belong: Provided always, That all suits, pleas, plaints, actions and proceedings in law or equity which may have been commenced or instituted before the 15th day of February next, and are now pending within the said county of Knox, shall be prosecuted and determined in the same manner as if this act had not been passed : Provided, that all taxes of whatever nature or kind assessed or which may be assessed previous to the said 15th day of February, or now due, or which may become due before that time within the bounds of the said new county, shall be collected in the same manner and by the same officers as if the aforesaid new county had never been erected.
SEC. 3. That William Bruce and Henry Ruble, of the county of Knox: David Robb and William Barker, of the county of Gibson, and Thomas Fulton, of the county of Orange, he and they are hereby appointed commissioners to fix the seat of justice for said county of Daviess: and the several sheriffs of the counties of Knox, Gibson and Orange shall notify the said commissioners of their
*This county was named in honor of Capt. Joseph H. Daviess, who was killed early on the morning of the battle of Tippecanoe, November 7,1811, while gallantly leading his company in a desperate charge.
Said appointments; and the said sheriffs shall receive from the said county of Daviess so much as the county court of said county of Daviess shall decree, just and reasonable, who are hereby authorized to allow the same out of any moneys in the county treasury, not otherwise appropriated; and the said commissioners shall on the first Monday of March, next, meet at the house of Alexander Bruce, of said county, and shall immediately proceed to establish the seat of justice for said county of Daviess; and until suitable public buildings be erected, so as to accommodate the courts aforesaid, the said courts shall meet at the house of the said Alexander Bruce, and shall then adjourn the said court to the court house. after which time the said courts for the county of Daviess shall be holden at the county seat as aforesaid established; Provided, that the agent or person appointed by law to lay off the town and sell-the lots at the seat of justice of the county of Daviess, shall reserve 10 per centum out of the proceeds of the sale of the town lots, and shall pay the same over to such person as shall be appointed to receive it by law, for the use of the public library for said county, in such installments, and at such times as shall be prescribed by law.
SEC. 4. (Refers to Knox County.)
SEC. 5. That the said county of Daviess shall constitute and form a part of the representative and senatorial district for the county of Knox.
Speaker of the House of Representatives. CHRISTOPHER HARRISON,
President of the Senate.
Approved December 24, 1816.
THE COUNTY SEAT.
It will be seen from the above that Daviess County, when first formed, comprised its present territory ; all of Martin County, except that portion south of Lick Creek ; all of Greene County east of the West Fork of White River. and all of Owen County east of the West Fork of White River. The northern limit of the county was then near Gosport, and the length of the county was about fifty-seven miles, and its greatest width about thirty-one miles. The formation of Greene County, in 1821. and Martin County, in 1820, cut Daviess County down to its present size. The commissioners appointed by the Legislature to locate the seat of justice met pursuant to law, and after viewing several eligible sites, one or more of which was on the river south, finally selected Liverpool, a small village forming a portion of the present county seat—Washington. The governor commissioned Obed Flint sheriff, and authorized him to call an election in the county of the necessary officers, which election was held in February, 1817, William Ballow, John Aikman. and Ephraim Thompson being elected county commissioners; William H. Routt and James G.Read, associate judges; Emanuel Van Trees, clerk. There were donated to the county, in consideration of the location of the county seat at Liverpool, thirty-seven and a half acres by Emanuel Van Trees and thirty-two acres by Samuel Wilkins, all adjoining Liverpool, and now constituting much of the central, northern and eastern portions of the present seat of justice.
THE COUNTY BOARD.
The county commissioners above mentioned met pursuant to law at the house of Alexander Bruce March 15, 1817. From the sheriff they received the report of the locating commissioners, fixing the county seat at Liverpool. Emanuel Van Trees was appointed to survey the land donated to the county, and delegated power to call such assistance as he might need. John Allen, Sr., was appointed county agent with bond at $20,000. On Tuesday, March 18, 1817, the survey of Washington was made by Mr. Van Trees and several assistants. At the May session, 1817, the county was divided into the following townships: Washington, Veal, Reeve and Perry. The latter constituted much of the present Martin County. The boundaries of these townships are so obscurely given in the commissioners' records that they will not be reproduced here. An election of the necessary township officers was ordered held in each of the four townships on the first Saturday in June, 1817; in Washington, at the temporary log courthouse; in Veal, at John Coleman's; in Reeve, at Martin Palmer's, and in Perry at Henry Hall's. William Palmer and another whose name could not be made out, were appointed constables of Washington Township; William Veal, the same for Veal Township; John Davidson for Reeve, and William Hays for Perry. Fence viewers and overseers of the poor were appointed. Listers or assessors were selected for each township. Agents for the school sections (Sections 16) and road supervisors were also appointed. Ebenezer Jones was appointed county treasurer, and was thus the first in the county. Emanuel Van Trees served as county clerk. At the June session, 1817, a license of 812 was levied on all taverns in Liverpool except that of Mrs. Ogden, who, with all others in the county, were required to pay but $10 per annum.
At all taverns the price of whiskey was fixed at 121 cents per half pint; wine, rum or brandy 50 cents per half pint; each meal 25 cents; each bed. 12\ cents ; horse to hay and grain overnight, 371 cents. Kinman's and Reeder's ferries were licensed. A premium of $1 was offered for wolf scalps.
Numerous roads were projected and " viewers " appointed. The following is quoted from the records concerning the tax. levied: " On land one-half the rates that are payable to the States, and on negroes the same. For horses 371 cents per head as the law directs." Hawkins', Hall's and Sholts' ferries were licensed at $15 each per annum.
Ferriage was fixed as follows: Loaded wagon and team, $1; stages or two-horse wagons, 621 cents; man and horse, 121 cents; man, 61 cents. At the June session, 1817, the contract for building a small court house was ordered sold to the lowest bidder. The clearing of the public square was also ordered sold. Six acres of the donation of Ephraim Thompson were sold January 1, 1818, to James G. Reed for $183. The last named man, who was one of the associate judges, was appointed to determine the market value of all money offered in payment of dues to the county. February 10, 1818, Mr. Reed. was paid $1,087.
24 from the town-lot fund for building a substantial log jail for the county. Alexander Bruce was paid $13 for the use of a house in which the county board met during the year 1817. John McClure made chairs and tables for the board for $19.90.
In May, 1818, a new court house was planned. It was designed to be a two-storied brick structure, 35x45 feet, the first story twelve feet high and the second ten feet. James G. Reed took the contract for $2,979. Henry Cruse probably did the wood work. The foundation was laid during the fall of 1818, and the house in the rough was completed by November, 1819, but for some reason not known the building was not finished suitable for occupancy until 1821. The contract for finishing the court house was sold to the lowest bidder that year, and the next spring the old temporary court house was sold at auction. So low were the finances of the county during the early history that many orders were carried from fire to ten years by the holders, and in order to complete the court house it was found necessary to circulate a subscription list, by which means $106.051 was realized. This was afterward paid back to the subscribers by the remission of an equal amount of tax.
In May, 1819, preparations were made to build a new jail. It was to be built of logs, was to be 18x28 feet, two stories high, walls one foot thick, to contain a debtor's and a criminal's room, and was to be finished by December, 1819. The building was erected according to contract by Aaron Freeland and Jesse Purcell for about $1,010. The jail was built on the west end of the public square. Dennis Clark " cried" the sale of town lots and of the court house and jail contracts.
THE FORMATION OF TOWNSHIPS.
In May, 1819, a new township was laid off from Perry Township, as follows: Beginning where Sections 2, 3, 10 and 11, Township 2 north, Range 5 west, join; thence east to the East Fork of White River; thence up the same to the extremity of Daviess County ; thence south to Lick Creek ; thence with the county line to said river; thence across said river to the southeast corner of Section 3, Township 1 north, Range 5 west; thence north to the beginning. Elections were ordered held at Hindostan, at the house of Frederick Shoults. Ezekiel Shoults was appointed inspector ; Thomas Evans and William Hays, constables. While the court house was being built, court was held in the house of Henry Cruse. Barr Township was formed in 1819, with nearly its present boundary. By November 10, 1819, the sale of town lots amounted to $5,741.95. Bogard Township was formed May 9, 1820. It comprised all of Daviess County north of Prairie Creek. Michael Robinson. was appointed inspector, and elections were ordered held at his house. David Cowen was census taker of 1820.
Richland Township was formed May 9, 1820, and comprised " all the territory north and east of the first creek above Owl Prairie to Monroe, Owen and Sullivan Counties"—the larger part of what is now Greene County.
August 13, 1821, Elmore Township was formed out of Bogard, and comprised all of the county north of the east and west line, one mile south of the line dividing Townships 4 and 5. Samuel Doty was appointed inspector, and elections were fixed at James Robinson's.
In 1823 the south line of Elmore was removed one mile north. All west of Prairie Creek was attached to Washington Township in 1823.
In September, 1824, the board of justices succeeded the board of commissioners. In May, 1825, McCammon Township was formed as follows: Township 5 north, Ranges 3 and 4 west. These two congressional townships had been temporarily attached to Daviess County by the State Legislature. William McCammon, Jr., was appointed inspector of elections for the new township. In 1825 a change was made in the boundary between Bogard and Elmore Townships. The old, temporary court house was bought by George H. Routt. At this time the townships of the county were Washington, Veal, Reeve, Barr, Bogard, Elmore and McCammon. Robert Oliver built a " pound" January, 1828. In January, L830, the contract for building a new jail, in place of the one just burned, was advertised. and finally sold to James Whitehead for $398.87-.1i. It was to be of the same size and style as the one burned. It was finished in November, 1830, and was of logs, and was 18x28 feet. In May, 1831, the county, pursuant to law, was laid out into three commissioners' districts, and in September of the same year a newly-elected board of commissioners succeeded the board of justices.. In 1832 the clerk's room in the court house was pronounced in too bad a condition for the safety of the records, and the clerk was instructed to secure in the town a suitable office. In May, 1832, all of Elmore Township east of the line dividing Ranges 5 and 6 was set off as a new township. called Wallace. It was the present Madison Township. Elections were ordered held at the house of William Farris. The county library at this time was an important institution. It was extensively patronized.
MISCELLANEOUS COUNTY AFFAIRS.
In November. 1832, George Roddick was appointed 3 per cent commissioner, and a year later George Honey was appointed school commissioner. In 1834 John Van Tress was authorized to make a county map. McCammon Township disappeared about this time. In May. 1835. the county was re-divided into town- ships (Washington. Veal. Reeve, Barr. Bogard. Elmore and Wallace) and road districts. September 7, 1835, Steele Township was formed out of the western portions of Elmore and Bogard. The boundary was about the same as at present. September 8,
1835, upon petition, the name of Wallace Township was changed to Madison. The following is quoted from the record of 1836: "Ordered, That Thomas Horrall be paid one dollar for a dear skin to cover the index in the Recorder's office." It is probable, judging by the way " dear" is spelled and emphasized, that $1 was too expensive for the skin of a deer. April, 1837, William C. Berry was appointed surplus revenue agent; James Carnahan was made school commissioner in May, 1840; W. L. McCutchen was made surplus revenue agent. In September, 1841, upon the petition of a number of citizens represented by Henry O'Neil, a new township, co-extensive with Township 4 north, Range 5 west, was laid off from Madison and Barr, and named Van Buren. Elections were fixed at the house of Francis Williams. In September, 1842, the board of justices was again succeeded by the board of commissioners. In September, 1837, county advertising was done in the Washington Philanthropist, and in 1841 in The Harrisonian, and in 1842 in The Hoosier.
THE COURT HOUSE OF 1841.
In January, 1835, John Murphy, George Rodclick, Daniel McDonald, George A. Waller, Barton Peck, James Whitehead and John Van Trees were appointed a committee to report upon the advisability of building a new court house. The old one, completed early in the twenties, was already unfit for the preservation of the records. The committee reported favorably, and John Van Trees, Batton Peck and James Braze were appointed in May, 1836, to superintend the work; and advertisements were ordered, calling for bids for the contract, the necessary plans and specifications having been prepared. The work was delayed.
In September, 1837, advertisements were ordered inserted in the Washington Philanthropist, only, calling for bids from contractors. In November, 1837, the committee was ordered to proceed with the work, and was authorized to borrow $1,000 or $1,500. The contract of constructing the building was let to Lewis Jones, who undertook the brick and stone work. The wood work was let to Whitehead & Berry. Mr. Jones complied with his contract, fmishing by November, 1838, and was paid a total of $3,776.25. The committee had borrowed of James G. Reed $1,000 at 10 percent interest. The last of this loan was not paid until June, 1847. During these years the courts convened in the Methodist Church. Whitehead & Berry failed to complete their contract, and their securities were called upon, and required to carry on the work. It was delayed and finally completed late in 1841, except seats, desks, etc., which for a time were borrowed from the church. The roof was found to be defective, and was replaced with a new one in 1842.
LATER EVENTS OF INTEREST.
June 8, 1843, it was "Ordered by the board that a premium of 25 cents on. each pound of reeled silk and 15 cents on each pound of cocoons be allowed for the encouragement of raising silk in Daviess County." June, 1841 upon petition. Harrison Township was formed out of Reeve and Veal as follows: Beginning on the river, thence north between Ranges 6 and 7, to the northwest corner of Section 18, Township 2 north, Range 6 west ; thence east to the northeast corner of Section 14, Township 2 north, Range 6 west; thence south to the river; thence down the same to the beginning. In March, 1844, it was reported that 2,520 acres of school land had been sold for $5,660.50, and that 5,480 acres valued at $7,690 remained unsold. A. C. Trowbridge Si Co. were paid for printing in 1844. Alfred Davis became school commissioner in 1844. In June, 1846, the Masons were permitted to use the northeast room upstairs in the court house for a lodge room. John Brayfield, of the Literary Journal, was paid for printing in 1847.
In 1850 premiums to the -amount of $1.40 were paid on native silk at 10 cents per pound. In March, 1849, the county board submitted to the legal voters of the county the question of taking stock to the extent of 600 shares worth $50 each in the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad Company. The result was favorable, and in 1853 county bonds to the amount of $30,000 were issued, and that amount of stock was taken in the road. In June, 1864, the bonds were relinquished by the holders, and in return the county board transferred its stock certificates to the company. In March, 1861, the boundary between Washington and Veal Townships was altered.
In 1859 and 1860 strong attempts were made to form a new county out of portions of Daviess, Knox, Sullivan and Greene Counties. The proposed new county was to be called "White River County," and the town of Newberry, Greene County, which was near the center of the territory, was the probable county seat. Petitions with hundreds of names were presented, but after due deliberation the prayer of the petitioners was refused.
Then a new project was instituted to form another county called Logan out of much the same territory, but this likewise met with failure. About this time a list of petitioners asked the county boards of both Daviess and Martin Counties to alter the boundary between the two counties, but this scheme also met with defeat. During the years of the war several heavy bounties were paid by the county. In 1865 the board, pursuant to law, began to pay annually $50 for the support of the County Teachers' Institute.
The act creating Daviess County provided that ten percent-um of the proceeds of the sale of town lots should be used to purchase and maintain a county library. The first books were bought early in. the twenties, among the first being "History of Martyrs," Buck's "Theological Dictionary," Wesley's "Sermons," "Pilgrim's Progress," Young's "Night Thoughts," Thompson's "Seasons," Harvey's "Meditations," "Charles the V," Rollin's "Ancient History," "Plutarch's Lives," Grimshaw's "History of the United States," Addison's "Spectator," Locke's "Essays," Jefferson's "Notes," Woodbridge's "Geography," -Children of the Abbey," "Byron's Works," "Pope's Essays," Shakespeare's "Plays," "Josephus' Works," etc. The officers of the library consisted of a board of trustees, a librarian and a treasurer. Nearly all the leading early residents of Washington were at times one or the other of these officers. The county library did a great service until newspapers, the great educators of to-day, gradually took their place. In 1854 and 1855 the State distributed about eight sets of 300 volumes each to the townships of the county. In these sets were all the leading works of that period. They likewise did a good service, and remnants are yet in use, serving like monuments to remind one of the past. About the time of the distribution of the township libraries, William McClure, a benevolent gentleman of Posey County, died, leaving a large fortune as a bequest to found public libraries throughout the State for the use of the working classes. Several of these libraries were obtained for localities in Daviess County, and many of the books are, though scattered, yet in use. The benevolent intentions of Mr. McClure were not fully realized, owing, chiefly, to the great and growing value of newspapers as a means of supplying general and special information.
THE NEW COUNTY BUILDINGS.
In 1859 preparations were made to build a new jail. Andrew Martin and M. L. Brett were appointed to prepare plans, etc., and Stephen D. Wright and Andrew Martin were authorized to contract with builders. Plans presented by Mr. Wright were adopted. The board appropriated $7,000 to carry on the work. Richards Sr, Harris took the contract for $5,229; they put up the building. Thomas F. Baker contracted for the iron work, at what price could not be learned, but about $2,000. December 2, 1860, the building committee reported the structure completed. It was formally accepted by the board. In 1868 the board, having in view the construction of a large and costly court house within a comparatively few years, began to levy a small tax to raise a fund sufficient to erect such a building.
June 1, 1869, this fund amounted to $3,642.82; June, 1870, to $9,130.57; June, 1871, to $10,678.41; June, 1872, to $14,580.88; June, 1876, to $56,171.52. In September, 1873, many citizens called the notice of the board to the need of a new court house, whereupon M. L. Brett, Richard N. Reed, and Joseph E. Thompson were appointed to mature plans, and a small appropriation was made to cover the necessary expense of visiting and receiving other court houses of the State. The matter was postponed until early in 1877, when the contract was let to McCormick & Sweeney. G. W. Bunting, architect, was employed to superintend the work and inspect the estimates. Work progressed favorably, and by December, 1878, the present fine brick building, with stone trimmings, was almost completed.
Early in 1879 the board was forced to sell $15,000 worth of county bonds to procure means to complete the work. The building was finished in 1879. June 1, 1880, the total court house fund collected from 1868 to that time amounted to $107,245.52. There had been spent of this on the court house $88,021.15, leaving a balance of $19,224.37 to be accounted for. Of this sum $3,813.70 had been loaned on mortgage; $4,961.55 had been transferred to the county fund, and $10,449.12, cash, was in the treasury. The bonds issued were paid with portions of the fund, which had been loaned as it was paid in, or with funds just collected. The authorities deserve much credit for the easy manner in which the house was erected and paid for during an exciting financial period. The 2,000-pound bell, bought of E. Howard & Co., of Boston, for $1.525, was placed in the building in the spring of 1878.
In March, 1881, the right to use A. D. Fordyke's system of keeping county records for ten years was bought for $350.
In June, 1883, a room in the third story of the court house was rented to the Peabody Rifles to be used as an armory, In June, 1885, under a new law, Michael Sause was appointed county ditch commissioner.
In April, 1884, the trustee of Barr Township, against whose management of the township's funds there was considerable complaint, was required by the board to turn over his books, vouchers, etc., to an investigating committee. Some errors were found which were corrected.
THE JAIL OF 1884.
In March, 1883, it was decided to build a new jail. Plans submitted by T. J. Tolan. & Son, of Fort Wayne, were adopted, and Brentwood Tolan was employed to serve as architect, and to receive five per cent of the contract price for such service. April 23, 1883, the following bids were opened and examined: A. J. Demoss, $23,050; W. H. Myers & Co., $26,372; M. E. Secrest, $28,000; J. W. Hinkley, $25,750; J. G. Miller, $25,500. The contract for a combined jail and jailer's residence was awarded to J. G. Miller. The following quantity of county bonds was issued to raise means to carry forward the work: Sixty bonds of $100 each, due in two years; 40 bonds of $100 each, due in three years; 10 bonds of $200 each, due in three years; 15 bonds of $200 each, due in four years; 6 bonds of $500 each, due in four years; 14 bonds of $500 each, due in five years; total, $25,000, at six per cent interest. The bonds were dated April 23, 1883. The five-year bonds sold for $505, and part of the four-year bonds for $502.50. The credit of the county was evidently good.
The present jail lot had been bought of Alexander Leslie in December, 1881, for $1,200; June, 1884, the old jail was ordered sold.
In December, 1884, a single $5,000 bond, bearing eight per cent interest, was sold to complete the jail. The brick structure was promptly erected at a total cost, including everything, of $28,836.56. Seth R. McCormick contracted to build around the jail a two-rail iron fence, three and a half feet high, for $1.43 per lineal foot.
RAILROAD PROJECTS AND THE CANAL.
In November 1869 the county voted as follows upon the proposition of taking $90,506 worth of stock in the Indiana Northern & Southern Railway: Washington Township, for the stock 836, against the stock 29; Veal, for 64, against 0; Reeve, for 1, against 153; Harrison, for 25, against 63; Barr, for 10, against 274; Van Buren, for 2, against 165; Madison, for 2, against 196; Elmore, for 34, against 33; Steele, for 47, against 30 ; Bogard, for 73,'against 78 ; total, for 1,096, against 1,021.
In 1875 Washington Township voted 891 for and 163 against the proposition of helping the Evansville, Washington & Chicago Railway with a two per cent tax.—$64,000.
In April, 1878, the following vote was cast to aid the Petersburg & Worthington Railroad with a two per cent tax: Washington, for 269, against 1,001; Steele, for 130, against 103 ; Elmore, for 133, against 76. Washington's tax was $52,844; Elmore's, $6,150.30, and Steele's, $9,222.
In June, 1878, the election was held over again with this result: Washington, for 492, against 583; Steele, for 140, against 23; Elmore, for 115, against 58.
In May, 1880, Washington Township voted as follows on the question of aiding with a two per cent tax the Evansville & Indianapolis Railway: for, 568; against, 519.
On the same question in August, 1883, for the Evansville, Washington & Brazil Railway, it voted 864 for and 161 against.
In April, 1884, on the same proposition, Steele voted 146 for and 24 against; Elmore, 158 for and 51 against.
In April, 1885, the three townships were required to vote again on the same question, the tax being one and one-third per cent.
The vote was as follows: Washington, for 822, against 300; Steele, for 145, against 7; Elmore, for 140, against 35. The latter is the only tax levied of all that voted above. The tax of each is as follows: Washington, $30,000; Steele, $5,500; Elmore, $4,000. The company at this time, January, 1886, is running regular trains. Regular trains ran north from Washington to Newberry first in October, 1885. The division between Petersburg and Washington was completed in 1883. The construction of the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad, during the fifties, was the great event in the history of Daviess County, as it opened to the world its inexhaustible coal mines. The Wabash & Erie Canal, built early in the decade of the fifties, was an important event. It cost the county thousands of dollars, but was the means of bringing in immigrants and of developing the inexhaustible coal fields. Had not the railroad come to the front the canal would have been invaluable as a channel upon which to float the local imports and exports. As it was, after four or five years of precarious existence it was gradually abandoned.
The first county treasurer was Ebenezer Jones, and the first report of the finances of the county was made by him February 9, 1819, and covered the period from the organization in 1817 up to that time. This report was as follows: Total receipts, $1,126.- 434; total expenses, $1,064.681 ; balance, $61.74 ; treasurer's per cent, $56.30, leaving in the treasury, $45.444-.
For the year ending February 9, 1820, the receipts were $808.461; expenses, $767.97-i, and $40.40, the treasurer's per cent leaving in the treasury 9 cents. The above refers to the county fund raised by taxation. In addition to this, was the town-lot fund realized from the sale of lots at the county seat, the land having been donated.
November 10, 1819, this fund amounted to $5,741.95, from the sale of the usual sized lots, and $183 from the sale of a six-acre tract, or a total of $5,924.95.
By August 15, 1821, there had been spent of the last-named fund on the court house, jail, etc., $5,255.56, and by this time, also, the fund. had been increased.
For the calendar year, 1824, the receipts of revenue were: $533.25i; licenses, $76: total receipts, $609.251. The expenses were $609.52, leaving a deficit of 261 cents. The receipts during the calendar Year, 1827, were: County revenue, 1,157.77; licenses, $99.25; total, $1,257.02. The total expenses were $1,036.531, leaving a balance of $220.481.
In September, 1828, the finances of the county since 1817 were investigated by a special committee appointed by the board.
The total amount of county orders issued during that period (1817 to 1828') was $13,950.24; and the total amount of orders redeemed was $11,362.82, leaving the outstanding indebtedness of the county, 82,587.42. John Van Trees and George A. Wallace were the investigating committee.
The receipts from January, 1831, to January, 1832, were 51,298.521; total expenses, 1,045.351; cash on hand, 8253.17±. The delinquent tax due at this time was $515.871.
From November 5, 1833, to November 6, 1834, the receipts were $1,628.11, and expenses, $1,194.331, leaving a balance of $433.78}. The receipts of 1835 were $1,830.631, and the expenses, $1,482,511; leaving on hand $348.121.
For the calendar year 1838 the receipts were $5,201.- 511: expenses, $5.230.65. There was due the county from the collector $2,367.89.
From January 3, 1840, to March 1, 1841, the receipts were $3,919.99; expenses, $3,983.71; deficit, $63.72; due the county from the collector, $1,618.12. For the fiscal year ending May 31, 1847, there was on hand $792.75 ; licenses received, $165.34; total receipts, $4,870.83; total expenses, $4,854.13; county officers cost $968.45. Delinquent tax back to 1840 was received. The total receipts of 1850-51, were $4,416.33, and expenses, $4,321.25. Among the expense items is one allowing silk growers a premium of 10 cents per pound. Fourteen pounds of native silk were grown as shown by the premium,$1.40 allowed. The receipts of 1853-54 were $4,638.69; expenses, $5,677.49; actual county debt, $1,450.37. The revenue of 1856-57 was $6,434.78, and the total receipts, $9,998.46; total expenses, $9,167.99; county officers cost $1,144.44. The revenue of 1860-61 was $14,509.84, including $4,488.16 delinquent; the total receipts were $22,246.17; total expenses were $16,127.92; county officers cost $1,718.78, and county buildings $7,013.75. In 1864-65, there was on hand $1,543.74; the county revenue was $21,789.- 38; donations to bounty fund, $9,100; total receipts, $45,411.31 total expenses, $70,174.13; bounty paid $52.200; county officers cost $1,972.40. The county debt was $41,241.55. In 1869-70, there was on hand $26,843.82; the county revenue was $17,025.-57, and the total receipts, $72,300.65; total expenses, $25,179.67. Old orders were redeemed, so that these were left on hand, $25,653.78. In 1874-75, there was on hand $36,448.01; the county revenue was $19,609.56; and the total receipts, $106,200.57: total expenses, $68,683.65; leaving on hand $37,516.92; county officers cost $4,562.35. In 1879-80, there was on hand $28,828.27; county revenue received, $28,284.17; total receipts, $98,018.36; total expenses, $66,232.67; leaving on hand $31,785.69; county officers cost $3,553.86. In 1884-85 there was on hand $23,102.54; the county revenue was $29,142.55; bonds sold, $5,000; total receipts, $116,398.20; total expenses, $76,801.40; leaving on hand $39,596.80. Among the expenses was $21,147.40 spent for the support of schools; $4,492.97 for county officers; $5,054.87 for bridges; $1,087.50 for insurance.
POPULATION OF THE COUNTY.
In 1810 (estimated). 300
In 1830 4,543
In 1840 6,720
In 1850 10,352
In 1860 13,325
In 1870. 16,747
In 1880 21,552
In 1885 (estimated) 24,000
The early election returns are missing and cannot be given; the following will throw sufficient light upon recent political events. In November, 1844, the result was as follows: For Clay and Frelinghuysen—Washington, 517; Veal, 37; Harrison, 23; Reeve, 42; Barr, 30; Van Buren, 21; Madison, 34; Elmore, 22; Steele, 32; Bogard., 49; total, 807. For Polk and Dallas—Washington, 362; Veal, 9; Harrison, 50; Reeve, 36; Barr, 83; Van Buren, 47; Madison, 88; Elmore, 56; Steele, 15; Bogard, 18; total, 764. No votes were cast for Birney and Morris, the Liberty candidates. The presidential election of November, 1848, was as follows: For Taylor and Fillmore—Washington, 421; Veal, 27; Harrison, 32; Breve, 62; Barr, 42; Van Buren, 23; Madison, 28; Elmore, 26; Steele, 37; Bogard, 37; total, 735. For Cass and Butler—Washington, 248; Veal, 15; Harrison, 43; Reeve, 58; Barr, 82; Van Buren, 68; Madison, 109; Elmore, 52; Steele, 6; Bogard, 27; total, 708. For Van Buren and Adams (free soil) —Veal, 1; Madison, 1; total, 2. The result in November, 1852, was as follows: For Pierce and King—Washington, 131; Veal, 43; Harrison, 55; Reeve, 74; Barr, 148; Van Buren, 74; Madison, 98; Elmore. 36; Steele, 19; Bogard, 42; total, 720. For Scott and Graham—Washington, 378; Veal, 68; Harrison, 30; Reeve. 73; Barr, 95; Van Buren, 41; Madison, 32; Elmore, 22; Steele. 38; Bogard, 49: total, 826. For Hale and Julian (free soil)—Veal, 2; Madison, 4; total, 6. The result in November, 1856. was as follows: For Buchanan and Breckinridge—Washington, 213; Veal, 70; Harrison, 61; Reeve. 191; Barr, 254; Van Buren, 90; Madison, 89; Elmore, 66; Steele, 40; Bogard, 41; total, 1.115. For Fillmore and Donelson—Washington, 311; Veal, 89; Harrison. 99; Reeve, 61; Barr, 119; Van Buren, 48; Madison. 55; Elmore, 24; Steele, 49; Bogard, 84; total, 939. For Fremont and Dayton—Washz" ington, 5; Veal, 2; Harrison, 1; Barr, 1; Madison, 10; Elmore, 3; Steele, 4; total, 26: The result of November, 1860, was much divided, and was as follows: For Douglas and Johnson—Washington, 170; Veal, 49; Harrison, 52; Reeve, 99; Barr, 111; Van Buren, 44; Madison, 90; Elmore, 59; Steele, 70; Bogard, 5; total, 749. For Breckinridge and Lane—Washington, 118; Veal, 13; Harrison. 16; Reeve, 76; Barr, 163; Van Buren, 54; Madison, 12; Elmore, 16; Steele, 10; Bogard, 51; total, 529. For Lincoln and Hamlin—Washington, 287; Veal, 81; Harrison, 72; Reeve, 75; Barr, 99; Van Buren, 45; Madison, 83; Elmore, 21; Steele, 86; Bogard, 85; total, 934. For Bell and Everett—Washington, 73; Veal, 11; Harrison, 30; Reeve, 11; Madison, 1; Steele, 2; Bogard, 5; total, 133. In November, 1864, there were but two tickets, as follows: For McClellan and Pendleton—Washington, 358, Veal, 46; Harrison, 72; Reeve, 140; Barr; 303; Van Buren, 77; Madison, 88; Elmore, 74; Steele, 91; Bogard, 50; total, 1,299. For Lincoln and Johnson —Washington, 418; Veal, 79; Harrison, 116; Reeve, 93; Barr,119; Van Buren, 71; Madison, 109; Elmore, 37; Steele, 93; Bogard, 92; total, 1,227. In November, 1868, the presidential election was as follows: For Seymour and Blair—Washington, 531; Veal, 75; Harrison, 182; Reeve, 116; Barr, 364; Van Buren, 124; Madison, 118; Elmore, 79; Steele, 84; Bogard, 59; total, 1,732. For Grant and Colfax—Washington, 527; Veal, 135; Harrison, 137; Reeve, 139; Barr, 155; Van Buren, 95; Madison, 169; Elmore, 67; Steele, 126; Bogard, 132; total, 1,682. The following is the result for November, 1872: Grant and Wilson—Washington, 684; Veal, 133; Harrison, 133; Reeve, 151; Barr, 168; Van Buren, 95; Madison, 169; Elmore, 83; Steele, 147; Bogard, 152; total, 1,914. For Greeley and Brown, (Liberal, Republican or Democratic)—Washington, 528; Veal, 72; Harrison, 91; Reeve, 160; Barr, 381; Van Buren, 88; Madison, 70; Elmore, 87; Steele, 78; Bogard, 60; total, 1,618. For O'Connor and Julian (straight out Democratic)— Washington, 2; Madison, 12; Elmore, 3; total, 17. The following is the result in November, 1876: For Tilden and Hendricks Washington, 878; Veal, 84; Harrison, 126; Reeve, 178; Barr, 430; Van Buren, 145; Madison. 131; Elmore, 136; Steele, 117; Bogard, 92; total, 2,350. For Hayes and Wheeler—Washington, 732; Veal, 126; Harrison, 115; Reeve, 167; Barr, 179; Van Buren, 112; Madison, 209; Elmore, 73; Steele, 119; Bogard, 164; total, 2,026. For Cooper and Cary—Washington, 2; Veal, 3; Reeve, 3; Barr, 7; Van Buren, 1; Madison, 1; Elmore, 5; Steele, 3; total, 25. The result in November, 1880, was as follows: For Hancock and English—Washington, 891; Veal, 70; Harrison, 113; Reeve, 185; Barr, 174; Van Buren, 142, Madison, 118; Elmore, 139; Steel, 128; Bogard, 97; total, .2,387. For Garfield and Arthur—Washington, 816; Veal, 120; Harrison, 150; Reeve, 191; Barr, 188; Van Buren, 122; Madison, 219; Elmore, 122; Steele, 171; Bogard, 191; total, 2,320. For Weaver and Chambers (Independent)—Washington, 12; Veal, 36; Harrison, 18; Reeve, 5; Barr, 3; Van Buren, 2; Madison, 4; Elmore, 1; Bogard. 2; total, 85. The result in November, 1884, was as follows: For Cleveland and Hendricks—Washington, 896; Veal, 83; Harrison, 121; Reeve, 205; Barr, 453; Van Buren, 110; Madison, 173; Elmore, 153; Steele, 155; Bogard, 98; total, 2,480. For Blaine and Logan—Washington; 823; Veal, 101; Harrison, 140; Reeve, 190; Barr, 231; Van Buren, 137; Madison, 203; Elmore, 117; Steele, 142; Bogard, 194; total, 2,278. For Butler (Independent)--Washington, 12; Veal, 44; Harrison, 35; Reeve, 4; Barr, 15; Madison, 2; Bogard, 1; total, 113. For St. John (Prohibition)--Van Buren, 2.
Beginning with the organization of the county, the paupers were cared for in each township by overseers of the poor, who were refunded the outlay by the County Board. The annual expense was for many years less than 8100. Late in the twenties it began to exceed that amount. In 1835 it was $240.75. In March, 1841, calls were made for proposals of forty or eighty acres near Washington to be bought and used for a county asylum. Advertisements were inserted in the Harrisonion. A special committee, Joseph Warner, Samuel J. Kelso and Abner Davis, was appointed in June, 1842. to examine the several tracts of land offered and report to the board. By December they reported nine different tracts near town offered; and after consideration the board bought eighty acres three and a half miles south of Washin.gton on Section 14, Township 2 north, Range 7 west, for a total of $280; forty acres being bought of David Hogshead, and forty of Lewis Jones. On this land were the usual small country house and stable of that period. William T. Wallace and John Bishop were appointed to superintend the construction on this land of all necessary additional buildings. William Hardin was the first superintendent of the asylum. Elijah Masters succeeded him in 1844. In June, 1843, there were only two paupers in the asylum. Hamlet Sanford and Joseph Allison were visitors." Fifty apple trees were set out on the farm in 1844 Three paupers were present in 1845. The " visitors " inspected the institution each quarter. The poor cost $492.06 in the fiscal year 1846-47. In 1848 Samuel W. Peck was employed to doctor the paupers. This was the first contract of the kind. Hiram Palmer became superintendent about 1847. He died in 1849. There were present six paupers in December of 1849. In 1850-51 the poor cost 81,486.89. John Jones was superintendent in 1853. He contracted to care for the poor for $1.35 each per week and the use of the farm. The poor of 1856-57 cost $1,686.65; of 1860-61 cost 81,248.43; of 1864-65 cost $1,220.31. In January, 1864, the old poor farm having become too small for the use of the county, was ordered sold and a new one purchased. Thomas Cunningham bought the old one for $1,000. One hundred acres on Location 202, Township 3 north, Range 7 west, were bought of John McCorey for $3,500. John Hyatt, Dr. G. G. Barton and R. A. Clements were appointed to superintend the erection of a brick asylum on the new farm. There not being sufficient ready funds, the board issued one $1,000 bond, twenty $50 bonds and twenty $100 bonds, in all $4,000, to raise means to meet the unexpected expense. The bonds were payable in one year. Only $2,550 of the bonds were sold. A little later, in 1864, the board bought of Richard N. Reed 62.68 acres on Section 13, Township 3 north, Range 7 west, for $877.52, to be used as an addition to the farm. W. R. Baker was poor superintendent in 1866, William M. Seal in 1867, W. S. Meredith in 1868 and John V. Spalding in 1869. The new poor asylum was built in 1866 by Reason Cunningham, and cost $11,817.28. It is a substantial two-story brick structure, a credit to the county. In December, 1869, the board bought of John _Maher for $2,452.40, 61.31 acres adjoining the poor farm, and in March, 1870 bought 21 acres for $1,500, also adjoining the same, of Thomas Coleman. In March, 1874, six and a half acres of the poor-farm were sold to William Halphenstine for $260. The poor and poor asylum expense for 1869-70 was $3,079.96. John V. Spalding served as superintendent continuously from 1869 to 1877, and was then succeeded by W. M. Seal, who served till 1879; and was then succeeded by John V. Spalding. The price paid the superintendent per annum varied from $400 to $500. The poor of 1874-75 cost $2,742.57, and the asylum cost $1,574.95. The poor of 1879-80 cost $2,914.55, and the asylum cost $1,956.07. Mr. Spalding has served since 1879 continuously as superintendent. He is paid $900 for two years. In March, 1881, the board bought of Ellen Fitzpatrick twenty-five acres adjoining the poor-farm for $875. The poor of 1881-85 cost $3,894.91, and the asylum $1,879.55.
The Daviess County Agricultural, Mineral, Mechanical and Industrial Association.—Articles of association were adopted by this organization in May, 1884. In these articles the objects of the association were set forth as being the encouragement, promotion and improvement of the agricultural, horticultural, mechanical, mining, manufacturing and industrial interests of Daviess County. The capital stock of the association was fixed at $10,000, each share being $10. There were to be thirty directors. The first meeting of the stockholders was held June 14, 1884, for the purpose of electing officers. The election resulted as follows: Zack Jones, president; Henry Walter, vice-president; Charles W. Thomas, treasurer, and Ed F. Meredith, secretary. The first annual fair was held on the association's beautiful grounds, two squares west of the court house. from October 6 to. 11, inclusive. The grounds consist of forty acres of land, with a magnificent grove and an abundance of pure water, and one of the finest one-half mile race tracks in the State. Exhibits for premiums were divided into thirty-nine classes, the last class consisting of essays on various topics.
The officers elected at the annual meeting held on the last Saturday of October, 1884, were as follows: Henry Aikman, president; A. M. Johnson, vice-president ; Charles Thomas, treasurer; Austin F. Cabel, secretary; T. B. Graham, Jr., assistant secretary ; F. A. Ward, marshal; Lloyd Clark, superintendent of stalls, and Miss Mary Clements, secretary of the ladies' department of floral hall. Under their management the second annual fair was held from October 3 to 10 (inclusive), 1885, and was a very gratifying success, the- receipts being $1,200 over and above the amount of premiums. The exhibits were divided this year into forty-six classes, the last class consisting of essays as in the previous year.
About the year 1854-55 an agricultural society was organized in the county, and annual fairs were held under promising circumstances until the war came on and diverted public interest and attention.
William Ballow, John Aikman and Ephraim Thompson, 1817; James C. Veal. 1821, rice Thompson; William Wallace, 1822, rice Aikman; Joseph Bros n, 1823, rice Ballow; J. C. Veal, 1824.
In September, 1824, the justices of the peace of the county took control of county business, and so continued until 1831. The first board of justices was as follows: Samuel Smith, Stephen Masters, George H. Routt, Joseph Hays, Joseph Brown, Thomas Morgan, C. F. Wells, John Shercliff, Thomas Horrall and Amos Rogers. The board of commissioners succeeded the justices, in September, 1824, the first being Samuel J. Kelso, Jacob D. Crabs and Alexander English, 1831; Joseph Brown, 1832, vice English; J. D. Crabs, 1833; Benjamin Goodwin, 1834, vice Kelso; Alexander English, 1835, vice Brown; John W. Horrall, November, 1835, vice Crabs, resigned. In September, 1836, the board of justices again succeeded the commissioners, but the latter-Hiram Palmer, James P. McGauhy and Charles D. Morgan-took charge in 1842; John D. McClusky, 1844, vice McGauhy; Hamlet Sanford, 1845, vice Palmer; J. P. McGauhy, 1845, vice McClusky, resigned; William H. Houghton and John Lester, 1846, vice McGauhy and Morgan; Henry Taylor, 1847, vice Lester; John English, 1847, vice Sanford, resigned; David M. Hixson, 1848, vice English; W. H. Houghton, 1849; W. H. Wells, 1850, vice Taylor; William McCormick, 1851, vice Hixson; J. C. Steen, 1852, vice Houghton; H. K. Brown, June. 1853, vice Wells, deceased; H. K. Brown elected September, 1853; William McCormick, 1854; J. C. Steen, 1855; H. K. Brown, 1856; Bazzel Liles, June, 1857. vice Brown, removed; Richard B. Dobbyn, 1857, vice McCormick; Thomas McCracken, 1858, vice Steen; Owen O'Donald, March, 1859, vice Liles, resigned; Jacob C. Dillon, 1859, vice O'Donald; David Solomon, 1860, vice Dobbyn; Thomas McCracken, 1861; Jacob C. Dillon, 1862; John McCort', 1863, vice Solomon; William Seals, 1864, vice McCracken; William T. Dickinson, 1865, vice Dillon; Stephen D. Wright, 1865, vice McCory, removed from the county; S. D. Wright, 1866, elected; William Kline, 1867, vice Seals; John Ferguson, 1868, vice Dickinson; S. D. Wright, 1869; Elliott Chappell and Peter Honey, 1870, vice Kline and Wright; John Ferguson, 1871; Peter Honey, 1873; William Kline, 1873, vice Chappell; William Boyd, 1874, vice Ferguson; John F. Franklin and John R. Wedding, 1876, vice Honey and Kline; J. M. Boyd, 1877; Peter Honey and William Kline, 1879, vice Franklin and Wedding; John Clark, 1880, vice Boyd; John Fanning and Francis Zinkans, 1882, vice Honey and Kline; John Clark, 1883.
Clerks.—John Van Trees, 1817-57; John S. Berkshire, 1857- 63; Mike Murphy, 1863-70; George Walters, 1870-78; Joseph Wilson, 1878-82; Joseph J. Lacey, 1882-86, incumbent.
Recorders.—J. H. McDonald, 1824-29; J. Calhoun, 182936 John M. Waller. 1836-40; John Hyatt, 1840-47; John S. Berkshire, 1847-54; William R. Berkshire, 1854-62; Enoch Barton, 1862-70; A. J. Smiley, 1870-78; Solomon Williams, 1878- 82 ; John H. Kidwell, 1882-86, incumbent.
Sheriffs.—George A. Waller, 1824-26; Richard Palmer, 182631; George A. Waller, 1831-35; Robert Raper, 1835-38; Andrew Martin, 1838-40; F. Wilhite, 1840-43; B. Goodwin, 184347 ; R. B. Sutton, 1847-51; B. Goodwin, 1851-54; Isaac W. McCormack, 1854-56; B. Goodwin, 1856-60; Joseph Brown, 1860- 02 ; Michael Nash, 1862-64; Isaac W. McCormack, 1864-68; James M. Graves, 1868-72; Isaac W. McCormack, 1872-76; N. G. Read, 1876-78; Zachariah Jones, 1878-80; Francis A. Ward, 1880-84; John A. Bair, 1884-86, incumbent.
Auditors.—M. L. Brett, 1845-59 ; R. N. Read. 1859-67; N. G. Read, 1867-74; T. J. Lavelle. 1874-82; James C. Lavelle, 1882- 86, incumbent.
Treasurers.—Abraham Perkins, 1852-54; John Thompson, 1854-56; William Sanford, 1856-60; B. Goodwin, 1860-64; William Sanford, 1864-67; George W. McCafferty, 1867-70; William Kennedy, 1870-74; John B. Spaulding, 1874-78; H. C. B , 1878-82; R. H. Greenwood, 1882-86, incumbent.*
Surveyors.—W. H. Root, 1824-52; John P. Agan, 1852-56; John Cassidy, 1856-60; J. C. Spink, 1860-62; W. P. Boyden, 1862-66; William Shanks, 1866-68; D. H. Kennedy, 1868-72; William Shanks, 1872-76; T. J. Smiley, 1876-86.
Coroners.—Joseph Daugherty, 18— -1826; P. Blackburn, 1826-31; Joseph Daugherty, 1831-39; Samuel A. Rodarmel, 1839-41; Thomas Brown. 1841-45; Joseph Daugherty, 1845-49; J. D. Tremor, 1849-51; James Martin, 1851-52; B. F. Meredith, 1852-54; T. P. Van Trees, 1854-56; A. G. Williams, 1856-57; Thomas Brown. 1857-60; James Solomon. 1860-62; W. T. Morgan, 1862-64; W. E. Hopkins, 1864-66; August Kauffman, 1866-68; John Stevens, 1868-70; D. R. Agan, 1870-74;
For the names of the early treasurers see ante in this chapter.
Warren Hart, 1874-76; Elias Grace, J876-80; Jesse Winterbottorn, 1880-84; W. C. Slater, 1881 86.
Senators.-William Polke, 1817-21, with Knox and Sullivan
Counties; Frederick Sholtz, 1821-25, with Knox, Sullivan and Greene; John Ewing, 1825-33, William Wallace, 1833-34, with Knox, Sullivan, Vigo and Owen; Henry M. Shaw, 1835-36, Thomas C. Moore, 1836-39, Robert N. Carman, 1839-41, with Knox and Martin; Abner M. Davis, 1841-44, Elijah Chapman, 1841-46, Richard A. Clements, 1846-47, Aaron Houghton, 1817-50, William E. Niblack, 1850-51, with Martin; William E. Niblack, 1851 -52, G. G. Barton, 1853, John P. Freeland, 1855-57, with Knox and Martin; James D. Williams, 1859-67, and 1871-73, W. S. Turner, 1867-69, with Knox; Andrew Humphreys, 1875, David Hefron, 1877-83, J. P. McIntosh, 1883-87, with Greene.
Representatives.-James G. Reed, 1821, with Martin
County; William H. Routt, 1822-23, with Martin County; James G. Reed, 1823-24, with Martin County; William Wallace, 1825, with Martin County; William Wallace,1825-26, with Martin County ; James G. Reed, 1826 to 1831-32, with Martin County; William Wallace, 1831-32, with Martin County; Erasmus McJ-unkin, 1832, with Martin County; William Wallace, 1832-33, with Martin County; David. McDonald, 1833-34, with Martin County; Patrick M. Brett, 1834-35, with Martin County; Josiah Culbertson, 1834-35,with Martin County; Lewis Jones, 1835-36, with Martin County; James Breeze, 1836 -37, Abner M. Davis, 1837-38, with Martin ; John Flint, 1838-39 ; John Flint, 1838-40, with Martin County; Samuel H. Smydth, 1840-41; Richard A. Clements, 1841-12; Richards A. Clements, 1842-43; Silas T. Halbert, 1843-44, with Martin County; James P. McGawhey, 1844-45; Richard A. Clements, 1845-46, with Martin County; Zachariah Walker, 1816-47, with Martin County; Elias S. Terry, 1817-48; Benjamin Goodwin, 1848-49, with Martin; Benjamin Goodwin, 1849-50; Benjamin Goodwin, 185051, with Martin County; John Scudder, 1851-52; Rowland Sutton, 1853; James H. McConnell, 1855; T. A. Slicer, 1857; Richard A. Clements, Jr. 1859; Matthew L. Brett, 1861; Noah S. Given, 1863; Howard Crook, 1865; John H. O'Neil, 1867; John Hyatt, 1869; Robert Haynes, 1871; Matthew L. Brett, 1873; Harvey Taylor, 1875; Patrick H. McCarty, 1877 ; Samuel H. Taylor, 1879; Clement Lee, 1881; Harman Woodling, 1883; Samuel H. Taylor, 1885.
This information is the research of many people across the United States and may contain errors. It is presented as the best information to date. Like all of those whose work I have incorporated herein, my research is a work in progress and subject to change without notice. A special thanks to Marlene Ricci of CA, Dwayne Meyer of CA, Jacqueline Bean of TX, Debbie Dick of IN, Milus Miller of IL, Carol Hendricks Miller of IN, Clarence Miller of IN, and Harold Glen Miller of IN. There are numerous others too; many of which are unknown, but their findings and stories are still much appreciated. Much of this would not have been possible with out their information. Also this website includes historical facts gathered from Washington County History, Indiana History, Rowan County and Salisbury North Carolina Historical sources and other US Historical sources.
James A. Miller- Great -Great -Great -Great Grandson of Adam Miller and Hannah Sheets.
©2007 The Millers of Washington County
Last Updated 12/17/10 03:40:39 PM -0800